Gunaikurnai Identity Card and Membership

Under the Indigenous Land Use Agreement (ILUA), Gunaikurnai do not have to obtain a permit or licence, or pay a fee to do any of the following on land and waters where we have native title:
  • Fish
  • Take game or fauna
  • Gather firewood
  • Camp (note fee exemptions do not apply to the Buchan Caves Tours)

Collection of Natural Resources

In relation to fishing, taking game or fauna or gathering firewood, Gunaikurnai will still have to comply with the relevant bag limits, size limits, location or seasonal restrictions, that would normally be part of a permit or licence.The collection of natural resources, is allowed for personal use only. You are not allowed to collect natural resources or firewood to sell.If Gunaikurnai want to collect other types of natural resources, you will need to reach agreement with the State first. To do this you need to write to the State (or ask Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) to write on your behalf) with information about what you would like to collect. If granted permission, the State may put restrictions on this resource collection, for example certain quantity at a certain place / places at a particular time of the year (similar to the bag limits and seasonal restrictions that apply to various types of fish under a fishing licence).


Gunaikurnai are also exempt from obtaining a permit or paying a fee for camping. This only applies to public camping grounds where we have native title, not privately owned or operated camping grounds or caravan parks.If the public camping grounds is one which involves a booking system, due to being a popular spot, Gunaikurnai will still need to be part of that system. This means you must book the campsite, even though you do not pay camping fee.You will also have to comply with camping rules and regulations, such as cleaning up and taking all your camping gear with you when you leave.

Non-Gunaikurnai Spouses and Partners

The Permit, licence and fee exemptions only apply to Gunaikurnai as they are the native title holders.Therefore, non-Gunaikurnai spouses and partners are still required to have a permit or licence, and pay the relevant fees.Note: Parks VIC (PV), Department Environment Land Waters Planning (DELWP) staff may ask for proof of identification, and they may also call Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) to confirm you are Gunaikurnai.To apply for an identity card and to overcome any fraudulent activities among our community, the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) has set some stringent guidelines of which these cards will be issued.These guidelines will also assist the agencies like DELWP and Parks VIC who will be enforcing incorrect activities with incorrect people.

How to Apply

Aboriginality and or Membership Application form

Complete the application form in full and mail to Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) at 27 Scriveners Road, Kalimna West VIC 3909 or email to with all of the relevant requirements as indicated on the form.


Supporting our members

Community Support Fund

GLaWAC encourages requests for sponsorship, scholarships/ donations and support from a wide variety of organisations, members and individuals. GLaWAC will consider individual case by case requests from a member if less than $100 dollars and the request meets the right criteria.

The Community Benefit Payment Policy and Procedure has been set up to address all requests on a case by case basis, based on the assessment criteria contained in the document. Each request will be carefully assessed to determine if it meets GLaWAC’s sponsorship, marketing and community objectives. Consequently, we are unable to proceed with requests for support that do not fit within these objectives. In addition, budgetary constraints limit the number of opportunities that we can undertake.

All sponsorship applications will be evaluated according to the criteria set out in the policy and must be submitted on the form provided.

Click here to read the Community Benefit Payment Policy and Procedure and access the application form

Funeral Assistance

GLAWAC can provide assistance towards the funeral costs of a Gunaikurnai person to help alleviate the financial burden placed on families of the deceased as a result of funeral expenses.


Click here to read the Funeral Policy and Procedure and access the application form