Our partners are also committed to working with Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) to build community health and well-being, education, employment, and economic outcomes for Aboriginal people through increased access to, and engagement in managing Country, water and the environment.
Gunaikurnai Enterprise provides existing and potential partners with an opportunity to build education, employment and economic development outcomes for Traditional Owners, whilst protecting the environment and enhancing biodiversity. This in turn will support better health and well-being, education, employment, and economic development outcomes for the wider community.
- Biodiversity restoration
- Bush – park restoration and regeneration
- Establishment of biodiversity corridors
- General landscaping and maintenance activities
- Soil erosion protection and rehabilitation works
- Water resource management
- Native seed collection, storage and propagation
- Pests, plants and animals
- Management of threatened species
- Management of the impact of feral animals and pests
- Weed control
- Fauna and flora threatened species monitoring – habitat mapping and protection
- Cultural protection and works
Links to Other Websites
The Role of the TOLMB is to set and guide the strategic direction for the joint management of Country (10 parks and reserves). TOLMB members collaborate with the State; Parks Victoria and other relevant land managers in the joint management of Country. This enables the knowledge and culture of the Gunaikurnai people to be recognised in the joint management of Country.
A Joint Management Plan is currently being drafted.
For information about the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation being a Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP).
Aboriginal Victoria (AV) is a key agency that provides advice to the Victorian Government on Aboriginal policy and planning and delivers key programs
Department of Justice Native Title Unit
Follow links to Your Rights for Indigenous Victorians.
Native Title Services Victoria
For native title, land and natural resource-related matters and the Secretariat of the Victorian Traditional Owner Land Justice.
Parks Victoria and the Gunaikurnai people have a joint management partnership in 10 parks and reserves
The State currently has agreements with five Traditional Owner groups. These agreements have arisen out of, or complemented, native title determinations.The Gunaikurnai Settlement Agreement is the first agreement to be reached under the Traditional Owner Settlement Act (2010)
Indigenous Australians have a strong cultural connection to country and the preservation of cultural heritage is extremely important. There are many areas of Aboriginal cultural sensitivity within the West Gippsland region, waterways in particular are significant. The Gunaikurnai, Bunurong, Boon Wurrung and Wurundjeri peoples are the traditional custodians of the country covered by this region. Indigenous priorities are included in the Waterway Strategy. These priorities were developed from the discussion paper which includes how the traditional owner groups were engaged.
Is supporting Aboriginal people’s engagement and participation in natural resource management. Members of the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation Natural Resource Management crew are contributing to the delivery of Australian Government funded projects by providing services to a number of our delivery partners.
- Cultural heritage site assessment, education and protection works
- Traditional ecological knowledge gathering and cultural activities
- Cultural mapping and cultural trail building
- Infrastructure development
- Developing and maintaining signage and other tourism/visitor requirements
- Wetland construction, rehabilitation and boardwalk design and construction
- Education and tourism
- Education – leadership for young people in our region
- Tourism – interpretative services, advice to signage and artwork
- Collaborative research partnerships with government, and research institutes
- Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) and Cultural Mapping Services
- Cross-cultural education programs